Bernie V. Biden: Drawing Closer to June

Dylan Ramos, Journalist

As the road rears nearer to June for the democratic candidate to replace Trump, endorsements could be key for upping a contestants popularity

As the 2020 Presidential election draws itself further down the road, more and more candidates are seen dropping out of the race and throwing in their bets, or more specifically, and very importantly, their endorsements, to the candidates who they want their names to be attached too when the victor is decided. So far in the lead in that little big game has been Biden. Previous but recently dropped-out candidate Andrew Yang, who campaigned with very socialist-aligned ideas at the forefront of his proposed policies like universal basic income most popularly, has endorsed Joe Biden. Pete Buttigieg has also endorsed Biden, and Bernie Sanders has gained Elizabeth Warren following her dropping out.

Bernie also fell behind Biden on several primaries Tuesday. Biden gained Mississippi, Michigan, Missouri & Idaho, and there’s an incoming debate between the two of them Sunday. Michigan was an important loss for Bernie that he was looking out for, he won in Michigan the last election, and was also coming into the Tuesday vote 96 delegates behind Biden, before loosing the state. In Michigan and Missouri, Biden beat Bernie as well in Suburbs and Small rural town and county votes.

Bernie and Biden both have matching chance between their favor with the people and establishment

One of the bigger differences between Bernie and Biden is the popularity between the two in terms of their perception by the media. Bernie Sanders in his run so far has had arguably one of the larger gains of popularity among informed progressive voters, including figures of progressive economic and social change like Jesse Jackson, who a few days ago had endorsed Bernie Sanders. Bernie however lacks favor of the establishment, which is what Joe Biden has having much time in office alongside President Obama.

Bernie however keeps clear that he aims for more ground level support. His message and agenda have always been more aimed to the working class and he prefers to receive support and to be supporting millions of workers through unions.

Popularity does not mean victory however. Despite being able to reach the ears of many, the vote count for Bernie has not been matching his base’s noise. It was shown in a poll on healthcare management opinion that 41% of Michigan voters said they thought Biden could handle healthcare better than Bernie, who got 31% favor.

I asked students around ERHS who they thought the best candidates would be. Faith Obeziu, a Sophomore at ERHS, said “I don’t know if Biden can win at all. Honestly, I’d rather have Bernie win because he’s always talking about changing stuff for the better, and Biden’s kind of just a basic politician.” There have been many difference between Biden and Bernie’s campaigns, but change for the better has always been the front of Bernie’s while Biden settles for taking over from Trump. Faith also said that “Bernie’s more popular so he’s probably gonna win.”

Alonso Hernandez, a senior at Corona High, said “I really hope Bernie wins. Biden wouldn’t do anything different or good to improve things… He barely talks about anything important.” Joe Biden has been known for very short and sparse words at his rallies and speeches, especially as of recently. “If you watch Bernie, he’s actually inspiring.” Alonso says.