LSU vs. Clemson National Championship

Amanda Hollis, Journalist

The National College Football Championship was a battle between the LSU (Louisiana State University) Tigers and Clemson University on January 13, 2020. The Football Championship kicked off at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans. Logan Cruz is a diehard fan of LSU and states, “I thought LSU was going to win due to them having one of the greatest offenses and a solid secondary.”

In the first quarter, Clemson started the game off with the first touchdown by Trevor Lawrence running a bootleg to his right. Moments later LSU tied up the score 7-7. Js’Marr Chase scored with a play-action pass taking it 38 yards. First-quarter ended with a tie of 7-7.

Amanda Hollis

Second-quarter, Clemson sophomore B.T. Potter set a personal best field goal from 52-yards out. They added to their lead when Lawrence ran a reverse play giving the ball to Tee Higgins for a touchdown down the far sideline. Clemson was leading 17-7, but not for long. LSU came back with two touchdowns, one being a QB three-yard touch down run up the middle and a pass to Chase on a stop and go route. After the extra point, LSU took the lead 21-17. With ten seconds left, Thaddeus Moss from LSU caught a pass in the flat, making the score 28-17.

Clemson scored first in the Third-quarter by Travis Etienne narrowing the score to 25-28 on a 2 point extra point conversion. With less than six minutes left in the quarter Clemson player, James Skalski was kicked out for a personal foul by targeting a player. Soon after, Moss scored on a short pass play for LSU. With 10 seconds left at the end of the quarter, LSU kicker Cade York missed right.

Leading 35-25 at the start of the Fourth-quarter, Burrow extended the lead with a 24-yard throw to Terrace Marshal Jr. The score would remain 42-25 the rest of the game with Lawrence fumbling the ball with 3:53 left in the game.  At games end, LSU won the National Championship. At the end of the game, Isaiah Friloux says how shocked he was, “I thought Clemson was going to win by a mile because of their number one defense but LSU’s offense got the job done.”

LSU culminated a perfect season with what every college player plays for, a national championship. The 4th championship in school history was lead by Joe Burrow’s 463 yards, 5 touchdown performance. Cruz recaps his favorite play by Joe Burrow, “When he threw a deep pass for a touchdown to separate the score was my favorite highlight.” The game was much closer than the score would appear. But as good teams do, LSU took care of the ball and chewed up the clock late in the game. LSU looks to be a preseason favorite to repeat as champions in 2021. However, they will have to do it without their coveted Quarterback who looks to go as the first overall pick in this springs NFL draft. Looking at how each player performed Filoux says, “Justin Jefferson out shined everyone on the field making unbelievable catches.”