Book Review: Forget Me Not by Carolee Dean

Forget Me Not by Carolee Dean

Noelle Rose Hardin, Writer

Warning! Spoilers ahead!

Forget Me Not by Carolee Dean

This novel formatted in prose poetry and screenwriting is the most influential book in my life. Taking place in a limbo-like state, Forget Me Not splits into alternating parts between Ally, a teen stuck in limbo for a suicide attempt (though unbeknownst to her), and Elijah the boy in love with her who is trying to save her and convince her life is worth living. The bond between Ally and Elijah is so beautifully portrayed in this painstakingly accurate depiction of high school that can resonate with all kinds of students.

Ally undergoes verbal abuse by her peers as well as rumors that tarnish her reputation and ruin her closest friendship. It all becomes too much for her and she makes the decision to try to take her own life. Her attempting managing to leave her body in a coma but her spirit trapped in her own high school’s limbo where the souls of those who died on campus go. Ally has to decide if her life is worth living and if she can go back to face the same students who laughed at a sneakily taken, nude picture of her with her best friend’s brother. The souls she meets in the Hallway of the H building (or limbo) seem to be determined to make her stay and leave the life she knows.

Elijah has been in love with Ally since they were kids, but after Elijah’s brother died in a self-inflicted car accident, Elijah tragically tried to join him. Given that, Elijah was sent to the Hallway but decided to come back. Though we do not read Elijah’s journey, we get his perspective on the aftermath of his suicide attempt and his journey to convince Ally to come back to her life.

As an avid reader, this is probably one of my favorite novels I’ve ever read, I have even tabbed and written in my copy of the book. No matter what page I open up to, I can be guaranteed that I can relate to any passage on that page. When I first discovered this book I was completely enthralled in how deep and meaningful the story was, it was a very short read for me. I think it took me maybe 2 hours, but I’ve read it so many times I don’t even care.