Shipwreck in the Black Sea

Amanda Hollis, Staff Writer

A 75 foot shipwreck dating back to 400 BC has recently been discovered in the Black sea by an Anglo-Bulgarian team.  “This is being hailed as officially the world’s oldest known intact shipwreck.” a report from BBC News states.

“This ship was found in really good conditions especially with it being 2,000m under water for many years. A ship surviving intact from the classical world, lying in over 2km of water, is something I would never have believed possible,” Professor Jon Adams from The Guardian states.  The ship was said to be laying 80km off the coast of the Bulgarian city of Burgas.

Going under the sea, the team used robotic explorers to map out a 3-D image to help them develop a rough image of what the ship looked like. As technology is constantly advancing, these developments help make discoveries like these possible. Thousands of years ago this  obviously wasn’t a reality, but speaking in terms of today, it  definitely is.”Normally we find amphorae (wine vases) and can guess where it’s from, but with this it’s still in the hold,” Dr Farr from BBC News states.

This unintentional  discovery has revealed  many things about exploring, and you never know what you can find when you work together as a team.