The Roosevelt Review

Homecoming Game Interrupted by Lightning Storm

Nayeli Rubio, Writer

Yesterday’s homecoming football game was abruptly halted by a lightning storm shorty after halftime started. The Mustang stadium was evacuated due to “lightning in the vicinity,” as announced by Micheal Roman, the ERHS ASB president.

Attendees of the game were evacuated to the gym for their safety.

Students were encouraged to evacuate to the gym while parents took refuge in their cars. Game play was suspended for thirty minutes before the game’s third quarter started at 9pm. However, shortly after, the game was suspended for the night according to the ERHS twitter page (@ERHSOfficial), writing “we are encountering nearby lightning again.”

The halftime show did not happen due to the evacuation, so there was no parade of floats, no color guard and no marching band performances. Due to the abruptness of the situation, junior Kaia Catron felt “wet and cold… I’m very confused” while in the gym. Despite the confusion, in the time that students waited in the gym for updates, the homecoming royalty was presented, and the king and queen were crowned.  Terrion Chavors was crowned king while Amber Sanchez was crowned queen. The votes were also counted for the best float, and the Sophomore class won first place with their student-made Ravenclaw themed float.

ERHS ASB
The homecoming royalty were celebrated away from the lightning and thunder. Photo Courtesy of ERHS ASB on Twitter (@ERHSASB)

The game resumed at noon today, halftime show or not. Last night, the score was 17-7 with our ERHS Mustangs in the lead, but by the end of the game today the final score was 21-20, with the Santiago Sharks taking the win.

Homecoming at Hogwarts will be happening today from 7 to 11 pm in the ERHS gym, where students will be able to have fun and recover from the unfortunate loss and from last night’s thunderstorm. The game may have been lost, but the homecoming dance will definitely be a win for students.

About the Contributor
Nayeli Rubio, Writer

Nayeli Rubio is a junior at Eleanor Roosevelt High School. Prior to joining her current journalism class, she has written for her middle school newspaper, The Colts Insider.  In fact, she even came up with the name! She chose Mabel Pines of the cartoon Gravity Falls  because she relates to the character’s carefree attitude. She also enjoys the little things in life like the character. She enjoys writing, reading, singing and dancing. She understands the importance of the internet in spreading information and hopes to give back to the online community that educates her on the things important to her.

Like Mabel, Nayeli tends to get distracted easily, but when she finds something she is passionate about, she will put all of herself into it. She tries not to take herself too seriously, but also is (surprisingly) quite mature. She relates to Mabel because both girls love their families- and pets-with all their hearts, and would do anything for their friends.