Serena Williams Nike Campaign: Is Nike looking out for the rebels?

Nike

Serena Williams Nike Ad

Andrew Mendoza, Staff Writer

Mason Routledge-Junior

Serena Williams has been a topic of debate ever since her play in the French Open on August 24th, 2018. Nike recently released a Picture of Serena Williams that said, “ You can take the superhero out of her costume, but you can never take away her superpowers.”

Jared Tolmasoff-Junior

This response from Nike came from a ban from the French Open, concerning the black catsuit Serena Williams was wearing. I was eager to find out what people thought so The Roosevelt Review  conducted a few interviews with students of Eleanor Roosevelt High School. The first person we questioned was a Junior named Jared Tolmasoff. 

“ I think it’s nothing new that Nike has done in the past because they have taken “rebels” before. An example would be Michael Jordan and him wearing his Jordan 1’s while the NBA banned him from wearing them. Another would be Odell Beckham Jr. when he wore ornaments on his shoes for Christmas.”

We later spoke with another Junior by the name of  Mason Routledge. He stated, “ The situation represents Nike’s slogan “just do it.” Nike is one of the most powerful companies in the world, they can do whatever they want without much harm to the company.”

Nike is a renowned company throughout the world and a message like this opens eyes everywhere on what the tournament had said concerning Serena’s outfit. According to popular opinion,  there shouldn’t be such a debate among the people of the tournament because it shouldn’t matter what you wear, as long as it is appropriate. Do you  think Nike did an excellent job on displaying Serena Williams through their ad campaign? Comment down below your thoughts!