Shrek the Musical Review

Rich Wang, A&E Editor

Friday night, I went to Shrek the Musical. I had high hopes for it, and I was not disappointed. The musical was amazing, especially since I knew a few people who were in the play. When the lights turned off, I couldn’t wait to see how it would start. Of course, it started with quite a bit of humor. When I saw the costumes, I was impressed at how good they were. They resembled how the characters looked in the movie. I don’t remember there being three bearded men imprisoned where the dragon resided, though. Then again, I haven’t seen the movie since I was about seven or eight, and this was the first time I saw the musical.

The music and singing were pretty good, but there were a few moments where two people were singing at slightly differently pitches. Also, there was a wardrobe malfunction and the dragon head and body were separated and out of sync, not to mention one person in the body was holding part of the costume the wrong way. Other than those, there weren’t that many issues.

Throughout the musical, the rest of the audience was just as impressed as I was. The two students next to me were a little too enthusiastic, though. They kept whooping, and each time one did, the other did the same, except louder and at a higher pitch. Whenever they did this, they kept going back and forth, trying to outdo the other. I ended up spending most of the time leaning on one side of my seat for most of the show.

The musical was pretty good, overall. The props were amazing, the music was great, and the acting was excellent. I look forwards to the ERHS Theater crew’s next play.